Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cats

I have no idea where people got the idea that cats are solitary creatures. Sure, they're more independent than dogs, but in no way, shape or form are they solitary.
As you all know, I have 9 cats. Yes, I am the crazy cat lady. They are my children. What you may not be aware of is that Princess, my alpha female is also the mother to three of my cats, Frost, Gunther and Saphyra. Gunther is my shy guy, Frost loves food and Saphyra is a mama's girl. Damian, my oldest male cat, also happens to be my largest cat and the alpha male.
Why am I telling you all this? Well, last Thursday I was cuddling with Frost when I noticed a lump on his leg. It was rather large and had me extremely nervous. I called the vet first thing in the morning and made the first available appointment on Monday. She told me that lumps in cats are extremely rare. She said that if Frost was a dog, she'd say he had a fatty cyst or an ingrown hair. But cat's don't typically get these things. If it wasn't a tumor, it was a fatty cyst that would eventually develop into a tumor and kill him.
I waited all day Monday to hear back from the Vet about the biopsy results. Finally, ten minutes before they were to close, she called to give me the news. Frost had a fatty cyst on his leg that she recommended get removed. I scheduled surgery for Wednesday (today).
I dropped him off, approved additional blood work just in case, and waited patiently for him to be released home. I just picked him up from the vet and he has a 6-stiches wound on his leg. He walks like he's drunk and his eyes are very unfocused.

All the cats came up and sniffed him to see what was going on. His sister and brother both ran away, hissing, but Princess curled up on a pillow and hissed at everyone else to stay away from her baby. Damian licked Frost's paw, curled up near him, and watched over him.
Living in a multi cat household has taught me so much about the feline family dynamics that have eliminated my previous misconceptions. While they may not need approval from their humans like dogs seem to, they are fiercely protective of one another and loving to those they call theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment