Monday, June 10, 2013

sleep

I thought that with quitting my night job I'd have more freedom and flexibility to write, relax and have an overall outpouring of free time. I was obviously delusional. For some reason, I find myself exhausted after almost any activity, especially if it involves me being out in the sun. It's getting better, but sleep and I aren't on the best of terms right now.
I left my night job in March-April-ish and started writing grants part time from home, freeing myself to be able to focus more on the books. This sounds really good in theory, but having never worked from home before, this has proven to be more of a challenge than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the change, it's just an adjustment.
See, before, I got up, got ready for work, drove to work, worked and came home to write, clean the house, take care of 9 cats and my husband and try to find time to sleep. Now, I get up and find myself distracted by reading, tv, the adorable cats, internet searches, and really anything else that - oh! a butterfly. lol. It's been an interesting challenge for me to figure out the self-dicipline it takes to work from home. I didn't think this would be a difficult process, but strangely, it is.
I'm trying to adjust to days again, after being a night shift worker for the past 7 years, and that's where I'm finding the most difficulty. I want to sleep at night, but my body has other ideas. If I can get to sleep at a decent hour, I'm up at 1, 3, 5, and finally have to force myself out of bed around 10 and I'm exhausted. I straighten up the house, have breakfast, water the plants, check eMail and am exhausted by noon. I've been trying to force myself through this time, but it's been difficult. I'm up to being able to function for about 6-8 hours while the sun is up before I'm exhausted, so I'm getting there.
When people first start working the graveyard shift, it typically takes them 6-12 months to acclimate to the schedule. I'm hoping it won't take me that long to acclimate to a daywalker.
In other news, I'm beyond excited for the release of the final installment of Zombie War! It's surreal to be finished with a series. I hope you enjoy the conclusion of this short, gory horror. I look forward to celebrating the release day, June 21, with you all! Thanks so much for your support, encouragement and love, you guys are truly wonderful!
~Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment