Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Last Boyfriend

Fourteen years ago today, I was asked out on a date. He was a young man, with loads of potential, and a lot of fun to be with. He took me to my favorite restaurant, the Olive Garden, and proceeded to look like he was going to either faint or throw up in the middle of the restaurant.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
"Yah," he croaked out.
I looked at him with one eyebrow crooked, but shrugged it off. He'd tell me what was bothering him when he was ready. We ordered and he started fidgeting with everything on the table. I knew then that he was nervous, not sick.
"How was your day?" I asked, a smile playing at the corners of my lips.
"Fine," he replied. "I have to ask you something."
"What's up?" I tilted my head and tried to suppress the grin.
"Well," he ducked his head, twisting his napkin on the table top.
He took a deep breath, "will you be my girlfriend?"
I couldn't hold it back. I grinned, giggling just a bit with how flustered he was. Taking his hand in mine, I replied.
"Of course I will."
He smiled back and kissed my hands.
Leaning over, we kissed, sealing the agreement.
Life would not always be easy, and our relationship would not always be roses. There are thorns in the mix, and those things bite! But, every year I would remember this adorable young man. His nerves, how scared he was at me saying no, and the look of pure amazement that I said yes that crossed his expression will continue to remind me of why I fell so hard for him. Fourteen years ago the last man I will ever date asked me to go steady. We will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in a few weeks and all I can say is, "I love you babe. Always and Forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment