Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Karli, or, A Princess with Dragons by L.V. MacLean

4 Stars

Totally not what I expected when I picked up this book. I have a habit of not reading synopsis when I pick up some books, and this was one of those times. I kept waiting to discover the dragons, and those mythical beasts never appeared. Dragons, however, can have other connotations - they can be people, situations, or even emotions. This was a very intriguing book that had situations that almost made you uncomfortable. The author was quick to point out - repeatedly - that the age of consent in this book is younger than in today's society. MacLean was very insistent that the reader understand this and be accepting of it as there are situations hinted at that would not be acceptable in today's society. It was an enjoyable read, although, I would have liked a better separation of the timeline - especially toward the end. The father was an excellent character - I don't want to give anything away - but I enjoyed the way things developed, even if they were slightly predictable. 
I think I may pick up the rest of the books in this series, just to see how everything works out. Very interesting science fiction/romance novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment